Garbage & Recycling
2014 Christmas/New Years Holiday Schedule
As a result of the upcoming holiday season, Republic’s collection service schedule will be slightly altered for the upcoming couple of weeks as a result of the Christmas Day and New Year’s Day holidays. Our collection schedule for the upcoming weeks is listed below:
Week of December 22nd:
- Monday, December 22, 2014 – Collection service will not be delayed
- Tuesday, December 23, 2014 – Collection service will not be delayed
- Wednesday, December 24, 2014 – Collection services will not be delayed
- Thursday, December 25, 2014 – Collection services will be delayed by one day. Collection for normal Thursday collection days will occur on Friday
- Friday, December 26, 2014 – Collection services will be delayed by one day. Collection for normal Friday collection days will occur on Saturday.
Week of December 29th:
- Monday, December 29, 2014 – Collection service will not be delayed
- Tuesday, December 30, 2014 – Collection service will not be delayed
- Wednesday, December 31, 2014 – Collection services will not be delayed
- Thursday, January 1, 2015 – Collection services will be delayed by one day. Collection for normal Thursday collection days will occur on Friday
- Friday, January 2, 2015 – Collection services will be delayed by one day. Collection for normal Friday collection days will occur on Saturday.
Week of January 5th:
- Collection service returns to normally scheduled day(s).
2015 Recycling Calender Coming Soon.
Rules & Regulations
Rubbish shall not be placed on the street earlier than 5:00 P.M. of the night before regular pickup day. Empty receptacles shall be removed from the streets no later than 7:00 P.M. the day of the pickup. Call Republic Services, inc. @ 800-878-4626 with any questions.
- Trash, furniture and appliances must be set at the curb for pickup BEFORE 6:00 a.m.
- All brush must be cut in four foot lengths, 18 inches diameter, and tied for pickup by the trash company.
- Recyclables must be separated from household trash and placed in Recycle Bin. Newspapers, magazines, junk mail, office paper, computer paper, catalogs, phone books, boxboard (e.g. cereal boxes with plastic liner removed), corrugated cardboard flattened to no larger than 2 x 3 x 6, plastic, tin cans, aerosol cans, aluminum,and glass.
- Yard Waste must be separated from household trash and recyclables from March 31st until December 12th 2014. Yard Waste placed in rubbish cans with yard waste stickers or in paper yard waste bags. NO PLASTIC BAGS WILL BE ACCEPTED - NO EXCEPTIONS. No compost will be picked up from December thru March.
- The above items will be picked up on REGULAR rubbish day ONLY.
- Collection will be made each week per area schedule except if the Holidays below fall on or before your regular pickup day. In this event the collection for this week only will be one day later. The Holidays are:
- New Year's Day
- Memorial Day
- Fourth of July
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
When a holiday falls on a Saturday or Sunday, rubbish pickup will maintain its regular schedule for the week.
- Rubbish and garbage MUST be in a container, either metal or plastic with handles, not more than ten at one time. Recyclables MUST be in city authorized bins. Yard waste MUST be in metal or plastic containers with sticker or in paper yardwaste bags. The maximum container size will not be greater than thirty-two (32) gallon capacity and under 50 pounds each.
- Rubbish Containers cannot be: Oil Drums, Paper Bags, Wire Baskets, Paper Boxes, Paper Barrels
- Appliances will be picked-up at no charge unless they have contained freon. Refrigerators, freezers, and air conditioners will be a charge of $15.00 each - Call 800-878-4626, 24 hours your rubbish day.
- No parking in the street from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on the regular pickup day in your area.
- Motor oil and automotive type batteries can be dropped off at DPS yard Monday to Friday 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Leaves cannot be raked into street. It is a violation of the city code.
- No Tires Will Be Picked-Up. Call your local tire dealer.
- All paint cans must have the lids removed and the material must be dried. Add kitty litter, oil-dry, or sand to absorb extra paint.
Do not place rubbish in the street it interferes with street sweeping operations
Remember to Print your Name or Address on your Recycle Bin. There is a $10.00 Charge for Additional Bin or for Replacement.
- Newspapers Must be tied in bundles six to eight inches thick or put in brown paper bags. Do not use plastic bags. No wet newspapers will be picked up.
- Magazines & Catalogs Must be tied in bundles no more than eight inches thick.
- Glossy Prints & Junk Mail Must be tied in bundles no more than eight inches thick or use brown paper bags.
- Cardboard Must be tied in bundles two feet by three feet by six inches thick.
- Office & Computer Paper - Must be tied in bundles six to eight inches thick or in brown paper bags.
- Glass Clear, Green, Brown no lids, rinse well. DO NOT INCLUDE - Drinking Glass, Pyrex, Plate Glass, other colored glass, china, light bulbs, ceramics, or mirrors.
- Plastic Clear and colored containers used for such products as soda pop, milk, liquor, cleansers, detergents and other items in bottle or jug form with the number 1 or 2 triangle symbol on them. Remove hard plastic lids and rings. Rinse well. Labels can be left on. Flatten as much as possible. DO NOT INCLUDE - tubs or containers for cottage cheese, butter, whipped topping, foam products or deodorant containers.
- Aerosol Cans Make sure they are empty with no caps.
- Aluminum Tied or taped in bundles.
- Motor Oil Bring to D.P.S. yard Monday thru Friday between 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Dump in Big Container.
- Auto Batteries Bring to D.P.S. yard Monday thru Friday between 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. or call 928-0550 for pick-up.
DTE Appliance Recycling Program
Save energy. Save money. Save the hassle.
Did you know that your old refrigerator or freezer can use more than twice the amount of electricity as a new one? Replace your old refrigerator or freezer with a high efficiency unit and you could save up to $150 on your energy bill each year -- and keep harmful materials out of landfills.
Plus, when you do, DTE Energy will give you a $40 rebate and haul your old appliance away for free through the Your Energy SavingsSM program! At the same time, we will also pick up your old room air conditioner and dehumidifier which will qualify for a $20 rebate.
Schedule a no hassle, convenient pick up today and begin managing your energy costs.
If you have questions about this program, call 866.796.0512.
*To participate, you must be a Detroit Edison customer. Room air conditioner & dehumidifier pick-ups must be scheduled with your qualified refrigerator or freezer appointments.
See other program requirements. Click here...
PROGRAM STARTS March 31st thru DECEMBER 12th 2014
Leaves, Grass Clippings, Yard Waste Must be in cans with Compost Stickers (Available at City offices) or in Paper Compost bags only.
NO PLASTIC BAGS WILL BE ACCEPTED NO EXCEPTIONS.
Brush Must be bundled eighteen inches in diameter and four foot long. (Nothing over three inches in diameter)
Plastic Bags are no longer acceptable for compost
Raking of Leaves into the street is against the city ordinance.
You could be ticketed and fined.